Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tower Records: RIP

I don't know about the rest of you, but the demise of Tower Records makes me really sad.

Tower was the epitome of cool in the 80's. I bought a lot of vinyl from them in Boston and Philadelphia. Even into the 90's they were on the cutting edge of the music scene. I knew people who worked for them in San Diego and San Francisco, and I always felt that I was part of the "in crowd" because I got to mingle with them.

The store on South Street in Philadelphia was particularly important to me. It was where I first heard Sinead O'Connor, Sade, Swing Out Sister, Soul II Soul, Big Pig, and Simply Red. It was where I bought new releases from the B52's and Kate Bush.

Tower was also a focal point of my life in Chicago. During the many bleak months when I was bored and alone and winter seemed interminable, I went down to the Tower Records in Lincoln Park to listen to the latest music.

For those of us of a Certain Age (and you know who you are), Tower was like iTunes and Napster combined.

And so I bid a fond farewell to the Tower Stores that I frequented: Good-bye Tower of Boston, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Chicago, San Francisco, San Diego and LA.

Good-bye and Thank You

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin!! you forgot goodbye, Tower Records Austin!!! the only drop of cool on the perpetually uncool-but-trying-to-be-cool, and aptly-named Drag!

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live four blocks from a big Tower Records. Sunday they hung giant "Store Closing" banners over their signage. They also hired ghetto felons to stand on the street corners passing out CLOSEOUT SALE flyers. Most sad. I first went their as a teen. A thought: Should Council Travel have used paid ghetto thugs to spread flyers in it's final days...? We'll never know.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home