Monday, January 01, 2007

My Benedictine Recipe

Benedictine is a Louisville staple. It was invented by Jennie Carter Benedict at the turn of the last century. She served it in her ladies' Tea Room for afternoon tea. As a gimmick she dyed it bright green, ands served it on pink bread that she made herself. Today you can still buy Benedictine in Louisville grocery stores, and it is always a ghastly bright green.

I always make my own, and it is not green. This is probably the simplest thing to make in the world, and it is delicious on bagels. I also love to make Benedictine and bacon sandwiches. That is as close to heaeven as you will get.

Benedictine recipe:

1 half cucumber
1/4 onion
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature

Puree the cucumber and onion. Smoosh together with the cream cheese till thoroughly blended. Put back in the fridge.

Done! Easy and delicious. You can fiddle with the ratio of ingredients until you get it the way you like. Some people also add garlic powder or garlic salt, or a dash of tabasco.

I served this to Kathleen on a visit and she loved it so much that she now makes it for guests in San Diego.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg has such wonderful recipes. Why just on New Year's Day I made his famous shrimp po-boys like I did last Christmas. Along with my mother's new panini machine, they were, once again, a big hit Chez Thebeau. Thanks Greg! RYAN.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home