Wednesday, September 06, 2006

This Weekend, Macy's Helps Make America A Duller Place

This weekend marks a milestone in the dullification of America. Macy's will replace all of its regional store names, such as Marshall Fields and Filene's, with the Macy's name and logo. They are touting this as a wonderful event, because now there will be a Macy's "everywhere you go.".

Ugh.

I do not want to find a Macy's everywhere I go. I want to find Macy's in New York, where it belongs.

I am well aware I am in the minority. Most Americans want anyplace they go to be just like home, and home to be like everywhere else. They want to eat at Olive Garden when they are in Times Square, and they want to shop at Macy's when they are back in Omaha.

Years ago I used to clothes shop on every trip out of town, just so I could have something to wear that wasn't exactly like what everyone else had. Those days are gone. I can't think of the last time I shopped while on a trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger buff said...

Yes, the Macyfication of America will mean that everyone in the 45 states where it operates will be able to buy the same things, nothing will be different. Fine for someone in Utah, but ugh for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home