Monday, November 20, 2006

A Big Anniversary!






You know, I almost forgot my Big Anniversary. It was 20 years ago (1986 for the mathematically challenged) that I started my illustrious career in the Travel Industry.

I don't remember the exact month, but it was in Boston in 1986 that I went to work for Bar Harbor Airlines, a commuter airline that had just signed a deal to be Eastern Express. If you remember Eastern Airlines, well, I have to break it to you: You're Old.

Anyway, I was hired as a ticket counter agent, but found myself being promoted to Supervisor in only two months. Bar Harbor was considered quite scandalous in the airline industry. Why? Well, for one thing, they hired me EVEN THOUGH I HAD AN EARRING!. Yes, a man with an earring. Shocking! Outrageous! Why, Bar Harbor was positively cutting edge.

Seriously, we were the envy of Boston Airport. Not only could men have an earring, but we had no Weigh-Ins! We did not weigh our employees to make sure that they were not Too Fat to be ticket counter agents. It is hard to believe that this was considered progressive and liberal, but it was. I must point out in all fairness that our female employees were required to wear pantyhose at all times. No joke.

I actually learned a lot from that job. Mike Bozzella was our Manager, and he is still my Manager Role Model to this day. He was always fair, always stuck up for his employees, and was always willing to take on Corporate. To this day, when interviewers ask me to describe my "Best Manager" I talk about him.

When they ask me to describe my "Worst Manager", it's Tauna Reneau all the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Grozny said...

Please, never mention "Tauna Reneau" and "all the way" in the same line ever again.

Thanks in advance.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home