Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This Makes Me Very Melancholy

This is a sad moment in airline history:

"The last scheduled DC10 passenger flight in the U.S. will be Northwest Flight 98, currently scheduled to depart Honolulu on Jan. 7, 2007, and arrive in Minneapolis the morning of Jan. 8. "

The DC10 has a very long history with me. The very first flight I ever took was a Western Airlines DC10 from Los Angeles to Mexico City. That was in 1977.

I flew many, many DC10's over the years. I flew them from Salt Lake to LA, from Denver to Chicago, from Chicago to Detroit, from Miami to Lima and on to Santiago, from Lima to Caracas with a stop in Bogota, from LA to Honolulu, from Boston to LA via Newark and Minneapolis, in and out of Houston more times than I can count.

The last flight I took on a DC10 was with Julie from Paris to Detroit. That plane had definitely seen better days. The seats were worn and torn, and the lights didn't work in our row. It was not a nice flight, for sure.

The DC10 is a leftover from the years when airline travel was fun and glamorous. Continental had "Sky Pubs", a bar in the mid-section of the plane where you could hang out while you were flying.

Sigh.

Now the best I can hope for is a Barbie Jet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the DC-10 experiences I remember.

Air France – Houston to Paris – 1988 (I think it was a DC-10 but may have been 747.
American - JFK to Geneva via Zurich – 1989
British Airways - Dallas to London Gatwick – 5 or 6 roundtrips – 1990-94
Continental - Houston to London Gatwick - 1993
United - Denver to LAX – mid-1990’s
United - Denver to San Francisco – mid-1990’s
United – Denver to Seattle – mid-1990’s
United - Denver to Washington Dulles – 1995
Egypt Air – Luxor to Cairo – 1995
United - Chicago to Seattle – 1998 or 99?

I may also have taken a DC-10 from Chiang Mai to Bangkok in 1998 but am not sure. I think it was a wide-body.

RYAN

12:00 AM  
Blogger Ivan Grozny said...

Bar in the middle of the plane? I'm supprised, that must have been before American got Puritain again. That is, when Charo stopped hoochi-cooching all over day and prime time TV.

Sure, I didnt get any booze on the Kwuait flight... but the food was top notch.

Now with the fluid ban I cant even smuggle a flask. Any suggestions on hope to improve my next flight, next month?

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home