Saturday, May 05, 2007

Derby!

I am on the scene at the Kentucky Derby. I am going to watch the Derby on TV this afternoon. The weather is horrible. It is rainy and there are going to be thunderstorms. This means that the infield (the section open to the general public) will turn into a giant mud pit and the drunken frat boys and their gal pals will decide to have a mud fight. So pretty. So classy.

This year Queen Elizabeth will be here. She will be wearing a Derby Hat, but everyone is keeping what it looks like a big secret. Since Queen Elizabeth wears a Derby Hat everyday I am not sure how we will know that it is a special Derby Hat and not just some hat that she wore on her state visit to Uzbekistan and decided was too good to give to the Goodwill. I mean, Americans don’t keep track of this sort of thing. Wouldn’t it be horrible if Americans were thrilled to see the Queen in her Derby Hat, but behind our backs the Brits were snickering and saying “Stupid Yanks! That’s the hat she wore at the grand opening of Harrod’s Tashkent!”

I am also worried about the Queen seeing the infield mudfight. This will not make a good impression.

Last night was the Barnstable Brown party. It is the number one Derby Party to go to. Cybill Shepherd was there and Jenny McCarthy, too. But the star last night was new celebrity and hometown boy Larry Birkhead, who actually met Anna Nicole at the same party four years ago. He is moving back here with the baby to be closer to his family.

Kid Rock is always here as well, but Pamela Anderson won’t come anymore because we eat chicken.

So what are my plans for the day? Well, first of all I have to find someone to drink bourbon with. None of my Kentucky friends like bourbon. I would like to have one mint julep, in a Derby cup, as is proper. After all, the Derby is all about tradition.

And speaking of tradition, there is another tradition to consider. I don’t bet on horses, and I never know the names of the horses that are running, so every year I make up my own horses and bet in my head. Here is this year’s roster.

1. Does That Hurt?

2. Stephanie’s Boil

3. Licky Lou

4. No You Din’t

5. Paternity Test

6. It’s Just A Cold

7. Hamster Wheel

8. Clive and Jasmine

9. Maybe Later

10. My Chemical Horse-pants

11. Sneeze Guard

12. Not Here You Won’t

13. Judy’s Snickerdoodles

14. Pastalicious

15. Horse Brutality

Now I would like to summarize my thesis. Although there are 20 horses in the real Derby, I stopped my list at 15. That is because my horse names are not real. The Derby In My Head can have as many or as few horses as I want, after all.

In summary, this was a blog posting about the Kentucky Derby. Every year there are two Derbys: one real, one pretend. I leave it up to the reader to decide which is best.






2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my... where do I begin responding to the key points in this posting!

1. Has it really been four years since the infamous Anna Nicole Derby visit?! I was there for that one. Little did the world know where that weekend would lead us all!

2. The only way anyone will be interested in the queen's hat is if she wears a giant Carmen Miranda fruit arrangement on her head! You're so right... she wears a hat every day! More interesting would be if Prince Phillip wore a Derby hat and garters!

3. I'm so sad to have been unable to participate in our annual horse naming event. By now, our former colts like Sorry About Your Neck, Senor Chalupa, Let's Order Chinese!, Little Nancy Fancy Pantsy and, of course, Festering Wound are all beyond their racing years and have probably been put out to stud. So sad.

4. Finally, I personally am going to a Derby Party, Greg, and will drink a bourbon for you. Bud did you did forget that today is also Cinco de Mayo. That's slightly more exciting in TX. The fact that Cinco de Mayo is on a Saturday in TX this year is equated to if St. Patrick's Day fell on a Saturday for Chicagoans or Bostonians.

Now, should I have a margarita today... or a julep. Quel dileme!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how names of racehorsies and rock bands are interchangeable. My contributions include Normal Flora (if I had any musical talent I would have a band and call it Normal Flora) and Vicious Lidocaine, a very nasty yet soothing horse. Around here, Cinco de Mayo is more of a big deal than Derby, yet a Mojito would be appropriate for either....Mint, liquor and a Spanish accent...We need more ethnic holidays, dont yall agree? We have St. Patricks and Cinco de Mayo...shouldn't we also celebrate Oktoberfest and Chinese New Year and St. Dafyds day and something for Greeks and Thais and Norwegians and everybody else? Questions, comments, analysis?

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home