Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ridiculous Job Title

I was looking at job postings today, and I was greeted with this abomination:

"Retail Sleep Counselor"

Or, as I like to call it: Mattress Salesman.

Yes, it was a job posting for Mattress World. Selling mattresses. I would just like to know what the world has come to that we have to invent such a stupid-sounding job title. In fact, this is a huge problem for me as I search for a job. No one posts a job as "waiter/waitress" or "telemarketer" or "cashier". No, everyone is now a "Customer Service Representative", or a "Team Member".

The local paper no longer has job listings under "restaurant", now they are listed as "Hotel/Hospitality". I find it bizarre that they consider being a front desk clerk and a waiter similar enough that they should be grouped together under one category.

Oh, and Fifth Third Bank no longer has tellers or branch managers. They have customer service associates and customer service managers.

Of course, all of this is to disguise the fact that every single one of these jobs is really sales. There is no such thing as customer service, there is only sales. But for some reason no one wants to admit that they are looking for a sales person. One of the things you can count on when looking for a job is the less that they mention sales, the more sales the job will require.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home